Go Back   MyHyundaiForums.com > Santa Fe Forum > Santa Fe 1st Gen (SM)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Santa Fe 1st Gen (SM) Santa Fe 2001 to 2006

Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 PM

Owns: 004 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.7L V6004 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.7L V6
Default Battery And Brake Light On Dash Came On

Hey everyone, new to the site and am in need of a little help as to what the problem is that I am having. Last week while I was on vacation I had the battery light and brake light on the dash both come on at the same time. Just as these came on I was driving through some water on the road from a heavy storm that had happened earlier in the day. As I drove through, the lights came on at the same time and I lost power steering as well, after about 15 - 30 seconds both lights went off and everything was normal. It happened again later that day as well, same scenerio, driving through some water, both lights came on, and no power steering. The lights once again went out after a short period, 15 seconds or so. Any one with any ideas as to what might be causing this? I was thinking maybe the alternator is going bad but I have not seen any other issues, lights dimming or things like that.

oh 2004 Santa Fe 2.7L V6 with about 94000 miles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FJM122 For This Useful Post:
Admin1 (08-11-2009), HyundaiWifey (08-13-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Site Administrator

Owns: 2009 Hyundai Genesis
My Mood: Cheerful
Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,318 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Admin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJM122 View Post
Hey everyone, new to the site and am in need of a little help as to what the problem is that I am having. Last week while I was on vacation I had the battery light and brake light on the dash both come on at the same time. Just as these came on I was driving through some water on the road from a heavy storm that had happened earlier in the day. As I drove through, the lights came on at the same time and I lost power steering as well, after about 15 - 30 seconds both lights went off and everything was normal. It happened again later that day as well, same scenerio, driving through some water, both lights came on, and no power steering. The lights once again went out after a short period, 15 seconds or so. Any one with any ideas as to what might be causing this? I was thinking maybe the alternator is going bad but I have not seen any other issues, lights dimming or things like that.

oh 2004 Santa Fe 2.7L V6 with about 94000 miles.

Well First off Here!!

Some times if you hit a big enough puddle of water it could cause your belt to slip! The reason you saw your lights come on is because your truck wasnt charging! an the reason your P/S got hard to turn is because your belt was slipping!
Couple things I would check is, your Crank Pulley I have seen a few of these go bad cause this concern. The rubber between the pully comes apart causing the pully to slip. Also check your drive belt tensioner, It may be weak causing the belt not to have the proper tenson. Also how new is your drive belt?
MyHyundaiForums Chat Room
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Admin1 For This Useful Post:
FJM122 (08-11-2009), HyundaiWifey (08-13-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM

Owns: 004 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.7L V6004 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.7L V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin1 View Post
Well First off Here!!

Some times if you hit a big enough puddle of water it could cause your belt to slip! The reason you saw your lights come on is because your truck wasnt charging! an the reason your P/S got hard to turn is because your belt was slipping!
Couple things I would check is, your Crank Pulley I have seen a few of these go bad cause this concern. The rubber between the pully comes apart causing the pully to slip. Also check your drive belt tensioner, It may be weak causing the belt not to have the proper tenson. Also how new is your drive belt?
first thank you for the welcome and the quick response! The drive belt was replaced when the timing belt was done around 65K miles, so about 30 thousand miles ago...at least I believe it was done around then. When I went in for the 60K service the dealer said that the drive belt was going to be done as well along with another one as well. So far I have not had any further issues and have driven in some light rain without the issue as well. I will have to have to check the items you mentioned above.